The celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage is an important aspect of the life of Ballinderreen and Kinvara Parishes. Pope Francis spoke to married couples and couples preparing for marriage in the Pro Cathedral in Dublin on 25th August 2018. He said, ‘Marriage in the Church, that is, the sacrament of matrimony, shares in a special way in the mystery of God’s eternal love. When a Christian man and woman enter the bond of marriage, God’s grace enables them freely to promise one another an exclusive and enduring love. Their union thus becomes a sacramental sign – this is important – the sacrament of marriage becomes a sacramental sign of the new and eternal covenant between the Lord and his bride, the Church. Jesus is ever present in their midst. He sustains them throughout life in their mutual gift of self, in fidelity and in indissoluble unity.’

If you wish to get married in Ballinderreen Parish or Kinvara Parish, please contact the Parish Priest, Fr Hugh Clifford, at 091 637154 to discuss the date and arrangements.  Before a booking can be confirmed, your freedom to marry in the Catholic Church will have to be established. You will need to meet with the Parish Priest here, or if living outside the parish, the Parish Priest of where you are living, so that he can fill the pre-nuptial enquiry form, which will need to be sent to Ballinderreen or Kinvara Parish. You will also need to participate in a marriage preparation course. To book, see ACCORD’s website. It is better to attend the Course well before the date of the Marriage. The Civil Authorities also have Civil Requirements for Marriage which must be fulfilled. If you wish to invite a priest from outside the parish, e.g. a family friend or relation, to officiate at the wedding, his good standing will have to be established, and the Parish Priest will have to give permission.

The priest with whom you fill the pre-nuptial enquiry form will guide you regarding the certificates that will be required.

  • You will need to get a Certificate of Baptism from the parish in which you were baptised and a Certificate of Confirmation from the parish in which you were confirmed. These documents should be issued no less than six months prior to the date of marriage.
  • Letter of Freedom: There are three options for proving your freedom to marry: 1. If you have lived somewhere else, other than your present parish, since you were sixteen, then you will need to get a Letter of Freedom from each parish in which you lived for more than six months to state that you did not get married while you lived there. Any priest from the parish (or parishes) where you lived will supply you with this document. 2. A statement of freedom to marry from a trustworthy person close to you. 3. Alternatively you can obtain an affidavit from a commissioner of oaths stating your freedom to marry.
  • Age requirement:  The bishop’s permission is required for a Church marriage involving someone under 18. Christian marriage requires the capability for a mature commitment and therefore such permissions are only granted in exceptional circumstances.
  • Freedom to marry: If one party has a Church declaration of nullity, arrangements cannot be made until the diocesan office has been consulted.
  • Mixed Marriages: Special permissions are required for marriages between a Roman Catholic and a baptised non-Roman Catholic or someone unbaptised. Applications are handled by the diocesan office once the priest of the Catholic party has forwarded the standard paperwork.
  • Your Marriage Ceremony: The priest officiating at the ceremony will be happy to help you prepare for the ceremony.

Website of Kinvara & Ballinderreen Parishes